Keep multiple versions parallel-installable in Debian?

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Sat Aug 16 17:50:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

Do you think that for theorem provers, and for Isabelle in particular,
we want to allow our users to have multiple versions installed in
parallel? E.g. Isabelle2008 _and_ Isabelle2009? Sounds like a
non-trivial amount of users would benefit from it. What do you think?

That would entail renaming the package to isabelle-2008, and change
the paths so that they don't conflict between versions. The same for
Poly/ML, because old versions of Isabelle will require old versions of
Poly/ML. We would also then, I suppose, add an isabelle package that
would install symlinks in /usr/bin/ like:
isabelle -> isabelle-2008

--
Lionel