[SCM] Debian Science Policy Manual branch, master, updated. 1c2b6552f39e789c5b06adb76d24b78ab525f047

Manuel Prinz debian at pinguinkiste.de
Sun Jun 22 17:58:36 UTC 2008

Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2008 19:41:17 schrieb Manuel Prinz:
> The following commit has been merged in the master branch:
> commit 1c2b6552f39e789c5b06adb76d24b78ab525f047
> Author: Manuel Prinz <debian at pinguinkiste.de>
> Date:   Sun Jun 22 19:43:04 2008 +0200
>
>     Started writing "Help On Packaging" appendix

Hi everyone, I just checked in what I have so far. Not much, and I'm not very
happy with it. The more documentation one writes on packaging one Git the
trickier it gets since there are so many paths one could take to reach the
goal.

One of the key question for example is wheter one keeps a long-living
integration branch or not. I think it's a good idea to do so. However, I'm
not so sure if others prefer temporary branches.

As well, one could use use "master/debian" as integration branch or a
different one that integrates feature branches and the debian branch. I do
not see much in point in doing so but maybe I'm just missing something here.

Since documenting these techniques probably influences those who switch from
SVN to Git, we should IMHO document the best practices. So I'm hoping for
your feedback and/or comments on which method you use if you already do
maintainance in Git.

Best regards
Manuel