Atlas proposal [and 1 more messages]

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Aug 25 17:46:18 UTC 2010

Goswin von Brederlow writes ("Re: Atlas proposal [and 1 more messages]"):
> Just dumping the compiled files into /usr/lib/ I find quite unacceptable
> too.

No, it is absolutely fine and it is what atlas-auto should do.  It is
a simple matter for its postinst and postrm to deal with these files
explicitly.

Plenty of other programs fiddle explicitly with files in /usr in their
maintainer scripts.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
/usr/lib is not special in this respect.

> Esspecially you should say WHY you think it is bad. How else will I
> learn anything? It is like proofreading someones book and then only
> saying: "You have a typo." That is not helping, that is just pissing
> people off.

I was just asking Jossellin to be polite to you, and now I'm
disappointed to see that you seem to be being rude and shouty back.
Perhaps it's not deliberate, but writing in capitals like that really
comes across very badly.

Thanks,
Ian.