Atlas proposal [and 1 more messages]

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Aug 26 07:07:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 06:46:18PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Goswin von Brederlow writes ("Re: Atlas proposal [and 1 more messages]"):
> > Just dumping the compiled files into /usr/lib/ I find quite unacceptable
> > too.
>
> No, it is absolutely fine and it is what atlas-auto should do.  It is
> a simple matter for its postinst and postrm to deal with these files
> explicitly.
>
> Plenty of other programs fiddle explicitly with files in /usr in their
> maintainer scripts.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
> /usr/lib is not special in this respect.

as an admin i'd be very annoyed by that behavior, because there's no way
for me to know what package the file came from then, or whether it was my
own accidental actions that led to it (i.e. a make install gone wrong
somewhere, etc), and no way to do checksum verifications.

to me it seems that somewhere under /var/lib or /var/cache would be
more appropriate...  and just to throw something out there, there is an
/etc/ld.so.conf.d directory, so the package could drop a file in there
pointing at wherever the libraries were placed.

	sean