is using git a hard requirement for debian-science packages?

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Dec 10 08:59:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 09:38:25AM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:

> (...) there currently are packages in debian-science being
> maintained using SVN.  My upstream uses SVN daily, and never uses
> git.

> So: Should these four packages get imported in debian-science SVN?

If we already have SVN-maintained packages, there is not much harm (if
any) in adding to that.

There are two conflicting goals:

 - Each team member should use tools he is at ease with.

 - It shouldn't be too difficult for any given team member to act on
   any team package.

I consider the first goal more important, but not in a total way; we
have to keep the second goal in mind. The second goal requires that we
keep the number of different VCSs (and patch systems in debian/ and
...) to a minimum. So if we have git and SVN, that's still OK. git,
SVN, mercurial, darcs and bazaar is too much.

--
Lionel