r36486 - in /packages/R/r-cran-xtable/trunk/debian: ./ README.Debian changelog control copyright rules

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue May 18 10:57:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 05:52:02PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Nevertheless, I like to document how to simply test the package. How about
> keeping the same notice, but calling it ???notes to explain how this package can
> be tested????

I'd prefer this wording.

> I admit it is a bit of overdoing. My motivation is that I strongly dislike when
> the download like is obsolete (404), so I test it at each upload (uscan
> --force-download,???).

What I forgot to say in my last mail: The fact that the real URL is
coded in the debian/watch file and can be obtained via uscan is another
argument to leave this out in debian/copyright and make it more generic
there.  Alternatively a copy of the uscan regexp might be kept in the
debian/copyright file.  The most important thing is that the reader of
the copyright file gets a chance to download the source in a reliable
way.  If you specify a specific release tarball this URL might become
invalid over the whole time of a stable Debian release because it might
have vanished from the upstream server.

> As a result I get the full URL for cheap. A Lintian test
> could be better, but I do not have much time for proposing one with a patch,
> and the DEP5 is not yet accepted anyway.

I had not spended much time in DEP5 but for the reasons given above I
would prefer to not specify a specific version of a tarball.  (Perhaps
this discussion should be moved to debian-devel.)

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de