Packaging Gzstream?

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Fri May 21 07:00:56 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I am interested in a set of programs, the ‘BEDtools’, whose source includes a
convenience copy of the gzstream library.

http://bedtools.googlecode.com
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/compgeom/gzstream/

A quick apt-file search indicates that at least two other packages (CCed) may
be using the gzstream library, k3d and freecad. So it seems that it would
make sense to package the gzstream library separately.

But I notice that this library has not been updated since 2003, and obviously,
if only two programs in Debian are using it, there may be a more suitable
alternative, that would be worth suggesting to the authors of BEDtools.

Does anybody has a good recommendation to replace gzstream by something more
“mainstream” without too much work? If not, are there volunteers to co-maintain
gzstream in Debian (it looks simple, but since I am not a C programmer, I am
not comfortable with library packaging).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team