Packaging Gzstream?

RoboTux robotux at celest.fr
Fri May 21 08:37:32 UTC 2010

Le vendredi 21 mai 2010 09:00:56, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I am interested in a set of programs, the ‘BEDtools’, whose source includes
> a convenience copy of the gzstream library.
>
> http://bedtools.googlecode.com
> http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/compgeom/gzstream/
>
> A quick apt-file search indicates that at least two other packages (CCed)
> may be using the gzstream library, k3d and freecad. So it seems that it
> would make sense to package the gzstream library separately.
>
> But I notice that this library has not been updated since 2003, and
> obviously, if only two programs in Debian are using it, there may be a
> more suitable alternative, that would be worth suggesting to the authors
> of BEDtools.

I found this http://www.codeproject.com/KB/stl/zipstream.aspx and there are
other alternatives listed here http://www.zlib.net/apps.gz.html but I don't
know if they are as convenient as gzstream for C++.

> Does anybody has a good recommendation to replace gzstream by something
> more “mainstream” without too much work? If not, are there volunteers to
> co-maintain gzstream in Debian (it looks simple, but since I am not a C
> programmer, I am not comfortable with library packaging).
I'm up to co-maintain it with you but I'm not DD so you would be my sponsor
for that particular package. Let me know if this is ok for you.

> Have a nice day,

Best regards.