RFS: yade-0.60

Anton Gladky gladky.anton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:29:48 UTC 2011

Dear mentors,

* Package name    : yade-0.60
  Version         : 0.60-1
  Upstream Author : https://launchpad.net/~yade-dev
* URL             : https://launchpad.net/yade
* License         : GNU GPL v2
  Section         : x11

It builds these binary packages:
yade       - Platform for discrete element modeling. Snapshot version
yade-0.60  - Platform for discrete element modeling. Main optimized build
yade-0.60-dbg - Platform for discrete element modeling. Debug build
yade-0.60-doc - Platform for discrete element modeling. Documentation
yade-dbg   - Platform for discrete element modeling. Snapshot debug version
yade-doc   - Platform for discrete element modeling. Snapshot documentation

The upload would fix these bugs: 608663

My motivation for maintaining this package is: I am one of developers
and users of this software.
We would be glad to have it in Debian repository.

This is my second try. After valuable suggestions of other maintainers
and debian-developers, I have completely rewritten the debian/ directory.

Some notes:
  * changelog file is corresponding to DEP-5
  * dh_ scripts are used almost everywhere, where it is possible
  * `lintian -IE --pedantic .changes` gives an empty line.
  * "yade-0.60" provides virtual package "yade". We want to have multiple
    versions installed in parallel, because modeling process can last months,
    but in most cases different versions of "yade" are not compatible,
    that is why we have to support several stable versions
  * doc-base registers comprehensive HTML and PDF documentation.

For those, who wants to build the package, I have to say that compilation
requires at least 1.5Gb/thread (RAM). So, If you have 4-core machine it
is desirable to have 6Gb RAM minimum.

Discrete element method is the numerical method of modeling a large
number of particles, their stresses and displacements. It can be used
as for granular material simulating as well as solid materials (rocks,
concrete etc.).

The YADE is mostly developed and used in universities and scientific
laboratories in France, Great Britain, Czech Republic, Russia...
Developers are PHD-students, Post-docs and scientists.

main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/y/yade-0.60/yade-0.60_0.60-1.dsc

Kind regards
 Anton Gladky