gmsh and libscotchmetis

Christophe Trophime christophe.trophime at lncmi.cnrs.fr
Wed Jun 8 17:51:01 UTC 2011

On Jun 8, 2011, at 7:16 PM, Anton Gladky wrote:

> Hi, Adam!
>
>> Sounds good, thanks.  I notice you also added the interfaces you need
>> for gmsh to Bug 506033, thanks.
> Ok, done.
>
>> For Elmer, I noticed that it could do node-wise or element-wise
>> partitioning, and just disabled the element-wise partitioning which used
>> METIS_PartMesh* functions.  Is it possible to do something similar for
>> gmsh?
>
> I just shortly looked at the code, but it seems, that the
> functionality of metis-module will be seriously restricted, if those 2
> functions will be disabled.
>
> Anton

Hi,
last week I met gmsh guys
They told me that they prefer to use metis instead of scotch because metis
provides some multiconstraint partionning...  It seems that scotch upstream has no
plan to develop such features right now.

So my feeling is that we shall disable metis support in the present version of gmsh
or consider to make a gmsh-metis package which will goto to non-free as an alternative.
This solution may be great as we can take full advantage of the latest gmsh developments.

Best