Proposal: Debian Science mailing lists

Manjusha Joshi manjusha.joshi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 07:28:03 UTC 2011

> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Brett Viren <bv at bnl.gov> wrote:
> >         Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre at debian.org> writes:
> >
> >         > == Proposal ==
> >         >
> >         > I would like to propose the following:
> >         > * move all packaging related discussions to
> >         > debian-science-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org
> >         > * use debian-science at lists.debian.org only for user oriented
> >         discussions
> >         > * make sure that all the commit mails are sent on
> >         > debian-science-maintainers-commits at lists.alioth.debian.org
> >         >
> >         > Any comments / opinions ?
> >

> >         FWIW, your proposal is more in line with what I thought
> >         debian-science
> >         was about when I joined.  I haven't, personally, minded seeing
> >         packaging
> >         related discussions go by but I do think the two types of
> >         discussions
> >         would benefit from having their own venues.
> > +1
> > Benefit is we also get updates about packages and that is really
> > useful for us.
> > As Linux user cannot remain only user, need to do system admin level
> > work also for scientific packages.
> Well, I do not consider that as always true. Software like R or Scilab
> can be used by normal users who do not care about packaging issues (or
> admin work).

They do care when they found some thing is not working in particular
version.
For example in Scilab 5.1.*  versions there was graphics card compatibility
issue.
Which was settle later on.  When  debian is maintaining the current latest
version of scilab will be of interest of Scilab users.

> > Second thing is,  after making 2 separate list will there be increase
> > in the user level queries? At present there are hardly user related
> > queries.
> I might be wrong but I feel like (it is the main idea behind this
> proposal) that debian-science at lists.debian.org is too geek and too
> packaging oriented for regular users.
> If I was a regular user of scientific software, I would have
> un-subscribed myself a long time ago since the ratio
> scientific/packaging questions is very low.

 Scientific software users generally subscribes to respective software
mailing list.
 Like I subscribed to Scilab mailing list.

Anyways, if you find it is useful to have 2 separate lists. No matter.
One should watch out  percentage of user relative queries and then decide to
separate 2 mailing list.
One can change the name of current mailing list. It looks like most of the
subscribers are interested in package related discussion.

Can have new mailing list for users.
Regards,

--
Manjusha S. Joshi