libmed V3.0 (source med-fichier)

Andrea Palazzi palazziandrea at yahoo.it
Tue Jun 28 20:37:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

I would like to discuss a little the switch to the new upstream version
for libmed.

As you may know, a new major version of libmed has been released [1];
the involved software seems to be limited to code-aster, salome and
gmsh.
Regarding Code Aster, that I'm packaging, the situation is the
following:
- we are working to package the actual stable version, that is 10.3,
that is depending on libmed 2.3.6
- the new stable version however is expected to come out in the next
week; I think that it will use libmed V2.3.6, but I'm not completely
sure about it
- on the other hand, the experimental (NEW) version of CA uses libmed
V3.0, and many users are likely to use both the stable and the
experimental version of code aster

Given that, to my point of view the optimal solution would be to have in
the distribution both versions of libmed, in the optimum case that we
get to build also debian packages with the NEW version of CA.

For Salome, the latest version (6.3.0) uses the new libmed version; I
don't know what are the plans for gmsh.

So... who's the one working on the libmed packages? And how do you think
that this passage to the new version should be handled?

Bye
Andrea

[1] http://www.code-aster.org/V2/spip.php?article98