problem with cctbx

Baptiste Carvello devel at baptiste-carvello.net
Mon Aug 6 12:56:19 UTC 2012

Le 05/08/2012 16:35, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel a écrit :
> Yes sorry after double checking I found only .a files. It is a wast of space to install the .a files.
> Peoples need to follow the good practice and use shared library instead of static one.
> It is a lot better for security but also for maintainability of your system.
> You just need to fix the shared library once and all your softwares using this library are "magically"
> fixed :).
>
> so no need to give people a gun to shoot themselves in their feet ;)

Just for the record, I wouldn't be so affirmative. I can see at least 2
reasons for end-users to use the static libraries:

* they might want to distribute a statically built application for
portability, because cctbx is not readily packaged in most Linux
distributions

* they might not trust the ABI stability, given the lack of
upstream-blessed sonames

That doesn't mean we must package the .a now, but we may have to do so
later, either because of user requests, or because upstream insist that
they must be available.

Cheers,
Baptiste