ongoing slepc/petsc transition

Adam C Powell IV hazelsct at debian.org
Mon Jan 23 22:49:01 UTC 2012

Hello Julian,

On Sat, 2012-01-21 at 16:49 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems there's currently a move from petsc and slepc 3.1 to 3.2 in
> sid.  In addition to the library package names changing, presumably
> because the new versions are not binary-compatible, the devel package
> were also renamed, from libpetsc3.1-dev and libslepc3.1-dev to
> libpetsc3.2-dev and libslepc3.2-dev.  Which is a problem, because it
> means every single reverse dependency would need debian/control changes.
>
> Is the new petsc/slepc API really completely incompatible with 3.1, such
> that all reverse dependencies need source changes to cope with 3.2?  If
> not, what's the reason for changing the -dev package names?  If yes, was
> the change coordinated with the reverse deps so things don't stay broken
> for too long?

I announced it to debian-science a month ago, but didn't coordinate
beyond that. :-(  Sorry!

> Is anyone willing to take care of making this happen?

I'm working on this for my packages (see below).

> FWIW the affected packages seem to be:
> - deal.ii

deal.II detects the PETSc version and acts accordingly, I believe 7.1.0
will work through 3.2.  I need to work on upgrading from 7.0.0 to 7.1.0.

> - dolfin
> - feel++
> - gmsh
> - illuminator

Illuminator has major problems -- the PETSc object on which all of
illuminator is based has changed drastically.  This will require major
upstream surgery, and the new version will not be data-compatible with
the old.

Since upstream is me, I can tell you I will not have time for the
foreseeable future (couple of months at least) to port illuminator to
PETSc 3.2.  It will need to come out of testing when PETSc
transitions. :-(

> - libmesh

Should be okay like deal.II, though I haven't touched libMesh in a long
time...

Can't speak for the others (dolfin, feel++, gmsh).

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/