[Pkg-octave-devel] Wrong octave/gnuplot plot output

Marco Mattiolo marco.mattiolo at hotmail.it
Mon Jul 23 07:25:41 UTC 2012

Hi Mike.
Thank you for answering.

Il 22/07/2012 16:20, Mike Miller ha scritto:
> I posted a solution to the problem on that bug report, is that not
> sufficient for your needs?
Yes, your solution is what I need.
But I'm asking, why should the user first plot with ugly fonts, then
google "octave plot font",
and then modify ~/.octaverc to suit his/her needs??

> No matter which font Octave uses by default, it will not fit
> everyone's needs. If you care about which fonts and font sizes are
> used in your plots, you should add those settings to ~/.octaverc.

Let's say some user will always have to modify ~/.octaverc, no matter
which is the default font:
do you really think that the default plotting behaviour (i.e. font) of
octave-3.6 is better than the octave-3.2 one?
I do not think so.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with forcing user to modifiy his/her
.octaverc,
nevertheless I allowed myself (being wheezy "next to" release)
to raise this doubt about the default plotting behaviour
an user would see when working with his/her brand-new Wheezy sistem.

Many thanks for your patience
Marco