yade will no longerbe built on armel/armhf

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Jun 6 16:26:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Riku Voipio <riku.voipio at iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yade takes obscene amounts of RAM during builds, causing excessive build
> times due to swapping on armel/armhf buildds. Since it does not seem to
> be a package likely to be run ARM machines in near future, we have
> disabled building it for now.

  have you considered disabling debug builds instead of cutting
absolutely everyone who uses that package off at the knees.  webkit is
another library that takes insane amounts of RAM.... during debug
builds: it requires resident 1.4gb minimum just for the linker
process, but *ONLY* when doing debug builds.

 a libwebkit non-debug build only takes about 5-10 minutes for the
linker phase on a dual-core 2ghz xeon with 2gb of RAM.  that goes up
to something like 30 minutes for a debug build, and OVER A DAY if the
system has only 1gb of RAM.

 ... so all i did was override the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in the
debian/rules file (CFLAGS=-O2 -Wetcetc not CFLAGS+=) and the problem
was solved: goodbye stupid build times.

 l.