Fwd: Re: re bug 638959: gmp multiarch support - why not -dev too?

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Thu May 24 03:50:03 UTC 2012

Hello Julien,

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 09:59:14AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:

> > Uh, I think this line misguided you; "arch" was meant to be a variable,
> > not the literal string "arch".
> >
> > What I wanted to say is that at build time, architecture $ARCH creates
> > a header gmp-$ARCH.h.  So there is currently a different set of files
> > in the -dev package for each architecture.
> >
> I think that's fine, as long as no two debian architectures have the
> same value for $ARCH (or their gmp-$ARCH.h is the same).

Yes, that is the case: each architecture has its own value of $ARCH.
I'm going to have a closer look to be certain no other headers vary by
architecture.

> > I don't know how to create a "Multi-Arch Same" -dev package without
> > moving gmp-$ARCH.h somewhere else.  Maybe creating a new arch-specific
> > package just for the one file?  Ugh.  The other idea I had was to put
> > it into libgmp10, but that violates the rule against containing files
> > whose name does not vary with the SOVERSION (policy 8.2).  Any ideas?
> >
> "Multi-Arch: same" packages are allowed to (and often do) have different
> file lists on each arch.  The restriction is that any file name that
> *is* shared among architectures has the exact same contents.

Hey -- that's good to know!  If this is indeed the case, then I'll have a
look at making gmp's -dev packages multi-arch same.

It would be nice if the wiki was more clear what is meant when it
says:

    If your -dev package contains headers which vary across
    architectures then it cannot be marked as Multi-Arch: same until a
    policy decision is made about architecture-dependant headers and
    the toolchain is updated.

I interpreted "headers which vary" more strictly than Julien did.

Cheers,
-Steve