cctbx debian package: new commit

picca picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Thu Oct 4 08:05:26 UTC 2012

Luc Bourhis <luc_j_bourhis at mac.com> writes:

> Hi Baptiste,
>
>> a few quick remarks:
>>
>> 1) the setup.py does not build the python extensions. It just installs
>> them, but delegates the buiding to the SCons build system. So we need to
>> interface with SCons anyway.
>
> Any project complex enough must use a proper build system and
> distutils does clearly not fit the bill. Thus there must be plenty of
> Debian ports where distutils must interact with make, cmake, SCons,
> waf, you name it! Or am I not understanding you correctly here?

I speak for myself, there is no problem, the objectiv is to provide a
working cctbx to Debian based community. Not to change everythings in
the upstream tarball.

>> 2) there are a few C++ applications which depend on cctbx, the one I
>> know is FOX ( http://vincefn.net/Fox/ , objcryst-fox in Debian). For
>> those use cases, should we still build a libcctbx-dev package with the
>> headers and static libs (for those we don't need to care about ABI
>> stability)?
>
> Iirc Vincent's build system requires to put next to the ObjCryst
> directory an archive containing precompiled libs, among which
> cctbx. Thus I would recommend providing a libcctbx-dev package
> containing all the files on sourceforge, and build it with static
> libs, then put that build where objcryst expects it and let it build
> itself.

So here I would ask to other DD of the debian-science mailing list, what
is the right way to deal with static library for case where library API
are moving quite frequently.

> You don't plan to move the tests away from their location on our
> sourceforge repo, do you? In which case, you would just need to set a
> few environment variables as part of installing that libcctbx-dev to
> get it all working as is. As for the need for input files, you need to
> keep in mind that most Phenix developers assume that the tests will be
> run in the context of a full Phenix development environment. That
> means a directory phenix_regression containing some tests structures
> and a directory chem_data containing thousands of them. Those two are
> only available from private subversion repos in Berkeley. Nat would
> happily give you a user account on their machine of course. That's for
> the theory. In practice, I really need to check how many tests cannot
> run outside of that Phenix development environment. As you can
> imagine, I have had it set up for ages, so I have no idea!

I let Baptsiste answer thoses questions. From my point of view he just
try to produce a cctbx-test package that allow to install and run the
test suite. But it seems thaht the test suite rely on private datas.

In a first time, it would be nice to run the test during the build.
do you have an idea of the size of the chem_data directory ?

Cheers

Fred

--
GPG public key 4096R/4696E015 2011-02-14
    fingerprint = E92E 7E6E 9E9D A6B1 AA31  39DC 5632 906F 4696 E015

GPG public key 1024D/A59B1171 2009-08-11
    fingerprint = 1688 A3D6 F0BD E4DF 2E6B  06AA B6A9 BA6A A59B 1171
uid  Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <picca at debian.org>