cctbx debian package: new commit

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:11:04 UTC 2012

MOVING to Debian-science-maintainers list since I send my answer by mistake to
cctbxbb.

On Thu, 04. Oct 10:05, Luc Bourhis wrote:
> First, as I explained earlier, this is an unlikely scenario because chances are that your Python extension needs to use a template class from cctbx, which means you need that libcctbx-dev package providing the source code. Then, unless you want to reverse engineer the compiler options we use, you pretty much need our build system too. So I would dare to say that your use case is too marginal and that anybody interested in developing C++ code based on the cctbx should get the libcctbx-dev package, then setup a directory to integrate in our build system (writing a file libtbx_config and a SConscript at least).
OK I'm sorry but I don't really understand why. Maybe I'm lacking some
c++ knowledge here. Our dev-package provides every header file needed to develop and
link against cctbx shared libs.
I don't see the sense for a developer to integrate into your build system all
the time. Maybe you just want to make a quick python module with pure distutils
and just link code againts libcctbx for instance.
But again I'm not a c++ developer nor do I understand the complete
reasons but I believe you when you say it's not necessary to distribute public
shared libraries. Also I don't want to hold endless discussions, cctbx decided and
I'm ok with it.

In this case I'm not comfortable with distributing this libs as private in Debian either.
I suggest linking the python-ext statically. It can easily be done with an option in
libtbx.configure.
What do you think Fred?

kind regards
Radi