cctbx debian package: new commit

PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Fri Oct 19 10:59:22 UTC 2012

Hello, Sorry for the delay, I was seek and then I spent some time on another problem.

> But again I'm not a c++ developer nor do I understand the complete
> reasons but I believe you when you say it's not necessary to distribute public
> shared libraries. Also I don't want to hold endless discussions, cctbx decided and
> I'm ok with it.

great, the upstream do not want to distribute C++ library, but only the cctbx python modules.
this is there choice. Now if other projects are using directly the C++ libraries, they need to discuss with
cctbx upstream and ask for a stable c++ API.

can we list in the wiki the list of project using directly the c++ libraries ?

> In this case I'm not comfortable with distributing this libs as private in Debian either.
> I suggest linking the python-ext statically. It can easily be done with an option in
> libtbx.configure.
> What do you think Fred?

I thinks that a good reason to install thoses shared library under a private directory
 (/usr/lib/cctbx) is to save some space for small systems

do you know how much space should be saved if all extensions were
statically linked or shared linked ?

now if the space saved is small, let's link directly the extension and distribut only
python-cctbx package and nothing else.

See you

Frederic