Lintian problems while packaging simbody

Jose Luis Rivero jrivero at osrfoundation.org
Fri Apr 4 22:45:42 UTC 2014

Hi all:

I have a couple of lintian warnings/errors that I want to share with you
for checking which would be the best way of handle them:

1. Embedded libray
======================
E: libsimbody3.4: embedded-library
usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSimTKcommon.so.3.4: tinyxml

I asked upstream why they are not using the upstream tinyxml and this
was the answer:
 -> https://github.com/simbody/simbody/issues/49#issuecomment-39047672

I understand that their comment partially covers the reasons why not to
use embedded copies (symbol collision) but others are still there
(security bugs not fixed at once).

2. Package soname does not match sonames
W: libsimbody3.4: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libSimTKcommon3.4
libSimTKmath3.4 libSimTKsimbody3.4

I suggested the possibility of packaging the libraries independently to
upstream but seems like it has no sense doing so:
 -> https://github.com/simbody/simbody/issues/49#issuecomment-27418566

Ideas? Thanks.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <jrivero at osrfoundation.org>