Comments from ftpmaster regarding spdep Debian package

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jul 30 15:43:42 UTC 2014

Hi Roger,

thanks for your very fast response.  I keep our ftpmaster in CC since he
finally needs to decide.  I attached a proposed diff for the
debian/copyright file.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 05:12:58PM +0200, Roger Bivand wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> >Hi Roger,
> >
> >I tried to package spdep for Debian on behalf of the Debian Science team.
> >The Debian ftpmaster had some issues before he will accept the package.
> >Could you please clarify the points below.
> >
> >Thanks a lot and also thanks for providing spdep as free software
> >
> >     Andreas.
> >
> >----- Forwarded message from Thorsten Alteholz <ftpmaster at ftp-master.debian.org> -----
> >
> >Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:51:55 +0000
> >From: Thorsten Alteholz <ftpmaster at ftp-master.debian.org>
> >To: Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>, Andreas Tille <tille at debian.org>
> >Cc: Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster at ftp-master.debian.org>
> >Subject: Comments regarding r-cran-spdep_0.5-74-1_amd64.changes
> >
> >Hi Andreas,
> >
> >according to spdep/inst/README parts of src/soigraph.c are taken from
> >a publication of Camebridge University Press. Can you please confirm
> >that the license is really GPLv2+?
> >

> The code at:
>
> http://cs.smith.edu/~orourke/books/ftp.html
> http://cs.smith.edu/~orourke/CGCode/SecondEdition/Ccode2.tar.gz
>
> includes arm/arm.c with the affected functions. This file has:
>
> /*
> This code is described in "Computational Geometry in C" (Second Edition),
> Chapter 8.  It is not written to be comprehensible without the
> explanation in that book.
>
> Prints out one arm configuration to reach given target.
> Assumes number of links >= 3.
> Input:
>    nlinks           Number of links
>    L1 L2 ... Ln     Link lengths
>    x0 y0            target0
>    x1 x2            target1
>
> Written by Joseph O'Rourke.
> Last modified: December 1997
> Questions to orourke at cs.smith.edu.
> This code is Copyright 1998 by Joseph O'Rourke.  It may be freely
> redistributed in its entirety provided that this copyright notice is
> not removed.
> */

I think this is fine so far.

> The file src/soigraph.c has:
>
> /* Copyright 2001 by Nicholas Lewin-Koh. ****
> * NOTE
> * The subroutines TwoCirclesxx and SubVec are adapted for R and Double
> * precision coordinates by Nicholas Lewin-Koh, from Computational
> * Geometry in C, Joseph O'Rourke, Cambridge University Press
> * (1998). Copyright for those subroutines remains his.
> ****/
>
> (slightly edited on R-forge to cite the arm/arm.c file)
>
> which we would argue meets the requirements of the copyright holder.
> If you disagree, it may be possible to reproduce the functionality
> using another R package.

I'm not sure about this but id definitely does not sound like GPLv?  For
me this statement does not include any license statement at all.
Thorsten, what do you think?

> >spdep/R/bptest.sarlm.R seems to be just GPLv2 and not GPLv2+, doesn't it?

> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lmtest/index.html
>
> lmtest now is GPL-2 | GPL-3; R source file in spdep updated.
>
> Hope this helps,

Yes, it does to discuss things further.  Thanks a lot

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de