[Debian-science-sagemath] git branches

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Sat Oct 20 13:45:48 BST 2018

On 11/10/2017 08:34 PM, Ximin Luo wrote:
> BTW I suggest we rename the branches
> - sid -> master
> - master -> experimental
>
> as that is the typical convention. We are still maintaining 8.0 in Debian unstable after all.

so we renamed the branches like this back then and now I have this problem:

I have the branches experimental with sage 8.4 and master with sage 8.3 and sage 8.4 is now in unstable so it should be in the master branch.

I don't really want to merge experimental into master, because master has changes that were only relevant for sage 8.3.

I could rename master to 8.3 and experimental to master, but then git pull will not work for anyone who wants to update master because the old HEAD of master is not an ancestor of the new one.

What's the way to go here? If it is the second one, we should go back to packaging versions for experimental in the master branch (and parallel updates to unstable in versioned branches that are scrapped later) to avoid renaming of branches in the future.

Best,

Tobias