[Debian-sponsors-discuss] What are we doing and what more can we do to reward companies and individuals that are supporting Debian?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sun Jun 2 09:39:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 03:47:24AM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> As far as debian-companies goes, I wonder, if inaddition to whatever
> criteria we have or will have for joining the debian-companies group,
> if this might also be an optional perk of financially sponsoring
> Debian?

Nope, I don't think that would be a good idea. I understand that, for
the purpose of this list, we're inclined to have a rather "monetary"
point of view. But not all relationship between Debian and companies
should be looked at from that angle. One of the main point of -companies
was to actually understand the need of companies that have a strategic
interest in Debian, but have hard time proposing Debian in enterprise
and similar contexts (for a variety of reasons, from the lack of a
support network to the crappy market of "certifications", you name it).
Debian needs to listen to those needs anyhow, even if those provide the
needed feedback are not willing (maybe not "yet") to contribute
financially or otherwise to Debian. That would be, in my opinion, an
extra artificial barrier that goes against our need of increasing
dialogue with companies.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o