[xml/sgml] cvs-buildpackage quickstart

Mark Johnson mrj@debian.org
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:50:07 -0500

> > P.S. If anyone needs help using cvs-buildpackage tools
> > to put the stuff under CVS, I can give a quick summary.
>
> I would really appreciate that Mark, as working with cvs-buildpackage is
> not something I have done before.

Me neither, till yesterday.

I still haven't learned how to upgrade to a new upstream version, I'll
have to add that later.

BTW, this is from the HOWTO included with cvs-buildpackage:

1. Setting your environment
--------------------------
export CVS_RSH=ssh
export CVSROOT=:ext:USERNAME@cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/debian-xml-sgml

2. Defining modules
-------------------
   Checkout CVSROOT and add module entries for your packages. Note
   that this isn't necessary, just convenient. It allows you to
   checkout your package by typing 'cvs co libxslt'

   In the CVSROOT/modules file, add a line for each package:

   libxslt	packages/libxslt

   Then check it back in:    cvs ci -m 'Added module for libxslt.

3. Putting sources into CVS
---------------------------

   Assuming you have created a set of files for upload, including the
   orig.tar.gz, the .dsc. and the diff.gz file, just type:

	cvs-inject <path to .dsc file>

  Expect to type your password a zillion times. I dunno how to get
  around this - maybe Ardo does. (Also, I'm not sure whether it
  matters that /etc/cvsdeb.conf has 'conf_prefix=packages', but I'd
  check, just to be sure.)

4. Check out your sources, make changes, check them in

	cvs co libxslt

	[...make changes...]

	cvs ci -m 'Checkin message'

5. Build your packages from CVS
-------------------------------
   From the top level directory of your checked out package tree, type:

	cvs-buildpackage -d -F -rfakeroot -kUSERNAME

	- type password a few times, when prompted

	Your package should be built in /usr/local/src/Packages/libxslt

	Note: you might need to make the above directory first.

That's it. Now you can upload the package as usual.

> Thanks for all your work on this so far.

No problem. Keeps me busy:)

Cheers,
Mark

--