[xml/sgml] xerces24 and xerces25 packages are ready

Jay Berkenbilt ejb@ql.org
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:18:13 -0400

I took a few minutes this evening to try out my new rules file on
xerces24 and xerces25 with positive results.  My additional testing
also suggests that these libraries work fine.  I'll check in my
packaging for those new versions of Xerces at the same time as I check
in the xerces23 changes.  I'll plan on doing this on Tuesday unless I
get the go-ahead sooner.  (I would just do it, but as a non-DD and a
new guy here, I'm still a little cautious about checking stuff in.
This is due to lack of comfort with the procedures and etiquette, not
lack of confidence in the correctness of the packaging. ;-])

When I check in my debian directory into the repository on alioth, how
do I make the .orig.tar.gz file available?  Since my packaging uses
cdbs's tarball.mk, the .orig.tar.gz contains the (oddly named)
upstream tarball in a specific location (so you can't just download it
from xml.apache.org).  Should I just put it up somewhere where it can
be downloaded and email a URL to this list?

The latest upstream Xalan depends upon xerces-c 2.4.0, and the latest
upstream xerecs-perl depends upon xerces-2 2.3.0, so all three of
these packages (xerces23, xerces24, and xerces25 which are, by the
way, peacefully coexisting on my machine right now) need to be kept
separate.  At this point, as far as I can tell (from apt-cache),
nothing depends upon xerces21 anymore.  Should that package be
removed?  If so, can I file the removal request bug report against
ftp.debian.org as per the developer's reference, or does the
maintainer have to do that?  I've already removed "Conflicts" from
libxerces24-dev and libxerces25-dev on versions older than
libxerces21-dev, but I've left them alone in libxerces23-dev.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/