[xml/sgml] libxml-xerces-perl, xerces2[345] ready for svn-buildpackage

Jay Berkenbilt ejb@ql.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:32:11 -0400

Ivo and All --

>   > That said, I have several questions:
>   >
>   >  * What should I do with this?  Shall I check my debian directory into
>   >    subversion on alioth?
>
>   You have my blessings.

Thanks.  As I mentioned in my private response, I really appreciate
your support on this!

>   >  * Someone can review and upload these.  That will clear the "NMU" on
>   >    the xerces23 packages and change the maintainer to the group.
>
>   I will do this, if you want.

That would be great.  I have checked the following into subversion on
alioth:

 * xerces23 with my new packaging (as described at length earlier)
 * libxml-xerces-perl with extremely minimal changes (Maintainer,
   standards version, fixed README.Debian reference to old version of
   libxerces)
 * xerces24
 * xerces25

(For what it's worth, I didn't update standards version blindly; I
read /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz to make
sure we were okay.)

All have the "mergeWithUpstream" property set on their debian
directories.

Which of these will you be taking care of?  If you'd like, I can ask
someone else to look at some of them, though that's probably not
necessary since xerces23, xerces24, and xerces25 are essentially
identical to each other (appropriate differences in changelog and
control, minimal differences in rules, patches to fix different
compiler errors) and libxml-xerces-perl is basically unchanged from
the NMU version.

I have already verified that these all build with svn-buildpackage and
have also built with pbuilder.  I've already gone through the details
of my file-by-file comparison stuff, so I won't repeat it now.

The upstream tarballs for xerces23 and libxml-xerces-perl are, of
course, unchanged.  I have created new upstream tarballs for xerces24
and xerces25.  You can download these from my personal website rather
than reconstructing them from upstream.  (They just contain the oddly
and inconsistently named upstream tarballs, which I verified using gpg
and md5.)

To download just the new tarballs:

wget http://q.ql.org/tarballs-new.tar
wget http://q.ql.org/tarballs-new.tar.asc

To download all four tarballs:

wget http://q.ql.org/tarballs.tar
wget http://q.ql.org/tarballs.tar.asc

Both tarfiles extract to a directory called "tarballs".  Both tarfiles
above are signed with my gpg key (http://q.ql.org/pubkey.asc).

To make it clear that the steps I followed are documented and correct,
I'll repeat my exact steps.  (This could also be useful for someone
reading this later who hasn't played with svn-buildpackage yet.)

Here are the exact steps I use to build these packages:

 * create an empty directory

 * extract tarballs.tar OR extract tarballs-new.tar and copy the
   upstream tarballs for xerces23 and libxml-xerces-perl from your
   favorite mirror or an apt-get source command.

 * Check out the four packages from subversion:

XR=svn+ssh://alioth.debian.org/svn/debian-xml-sgml/packages/xerces
svn co $XR/libxml-xerces-perl/trunk libxml-xerces-perl-2.3.0-4
svn co $XR/xerces23/trunk xerces23-2.3.0
svn co $XR/xerces24/trunk xerces24-2.4.0
svn co $XR/xerces25/trunk xerces25-2.5.0

 * Build all the packages:

for i in xerces23-2.3.0 xerces24-2.4.0 xerces25-2.5.0 libxml-xerces-perl-2.3.0-4; do (cd $i; svn-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot); done

It will be necessary to add --svn-tag to the svn-buildpackage command
to automatically create the tag for the new releases.  (I did this
manually with svn copy for libxml-xerces-perl and xerces23.)  I'm not
sure what, if anything, to do about the Uploaders field in the control
file.  I guess you'll change that if needed.

For what it's worth, since there are no functional changes between
xerces23-2.3.0-1.1 and xerces23-2.3.0-2, I left the build dependency
in libxml-xerces-perl set to >= 2.3.0-1.1 for libxerces23-dev.

I hope that covers it.  I'll be eagerly awaiting a response.  If I'm
lucky, the response will be, "These all looked fine as they are.  I've
uploaded them, and I agree to be an advocate and verify your
application for Debian membership." :-) But if there are any problems,
by all means please let me know so I can make the corrections and
check things in again.

Thanks again for your help and wading through all my long email
messages!

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/