[xml/sgml] what to do with docbook-utils

W. Borgert debacle@debian.org
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:04:43 +0000

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:11:13PM -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
>  * docbook-utils uses a a deprecated version of docbook2man which only supports
>    SGML.  docbook2x' docbook2manxml supports both SGML and XML.

IMHO, that is the most important point: About everyone
shifts from SGML to XML, and we should encourage such step
to ease our lives.

> Let's also draw docook2x and db2latex-xsl into this.  Wrt to manpage generation

There is also docbook-to-man, for SGML.  For XML manpages I
prefer docbook-xsl (/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/\
nwalsh/manpages/) anyway.  OK, docbook2x supports tables,
docbook-xsl does not.

> docbook2x supersedes docbook-utils (see above).  And with db2latex-xsl we have
> another route to generate PDF and PS output.  In other words, there's quite
> some overlap between the three packages and each has its own set of issues.

The problem I see, is that db2latex-xsl is only useful for
people who know DocBook/XML and XSL and LaTeX (and are
prepared to work on all three areas).  It would be good
to have an alternative for non-geeks.  However, this
alternative should support XML.

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/