[xml/sgml] docbook2x and db2latex-xsl?

W. Borgert debacle@debian.org
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:47:38 +0000

Hi,

while I'm still going to package db2latex-xsl, I also would
like to see docbook2x (0.8.2 is current) in Debian.  Two
reasons for that tool: It's the only tool to transform
DocBook/XML refentries into TeXinfo.  I'm a GNU Emacs user
and therefore addicted to M-x info!  Also it translates to
nroff with tbl (tables) support, which is not yet in
docbook-xsl AFAIK.  Unfortunately, docbook2x uses a fork of
xsltproc with special enhancements to do it's magic.  But
there is no chance with standard XSL, it seems.

db2latex-xsl is a little bit complicated: Upstream does
already good Debian packages, db2latex-xsl and
db2latex-xsl-examples, but I think db2latex-xsl and
db2latex-xsl-doc would be more debianic.  Also, upstream
uses a local, heavily patched copy of docbook-website to
create web pages/documentation.  I would prefer to use the
standard Debian package, even if the result would look
different.  db2latex-xsl is an expert tool, but the output
is worth it, just look at the PDFs on my page (see below).

I'm a little bit busy at the moment, so things are going
very slowly at my end.  If there are any volunteers for
docbook2x and/or db2latex-xsl, I'ld be more than happy.  If
not, I am going to package both tools, but it still takes
time.  Also, it would be nice to have the support of the XML
team.  Comments?

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/