[xml/sgml] How to reference docbookx.dtd via file://?

Mark Johnson mrj@debian.org
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:37:19 -0500

Jeff Chimene wrote:
> --- Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org> wrote:
>

>>Jeff Chimene wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Is the answer to simply rewrite the
>>>SYSTEM identifier in the DOCTYPE declaration?
>>
>>Yep, that'll work.
>

> Yes, it did/does. I wound up edting the dbforms DTD to
> reference V4.3 of the docbookx DTD.

Yes, I believe version 1.1 of the dbforms DTD references V4.1.2 of the DocBook
XML DTD. When 1.2 is released, hopefully it'll customize V4.4, which is expected
to become a committee standard. Either way, you should be able to safely use any
DocBook XML DTD with Version >= 4.1.2.

>>><!DOCTYPE article
>>>PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook HTML Forms Module V1.1//EN"
>>>"dbforms.dtd"!>
>

> I guess I'm surprised that the PUBLIC declaration
> doesn't match a catalog entry.

It should. If it doesn't it's my fault (as the package maintainer.)

> I have to admit that I'm quite new to XML.

This isn't an XML issue - it's more of a "package maintainer needs to update his
package" issue:-) OIW, I need to update that package to make sure that it's
registering its DTD in the XML catalog system.

I have some package maintenance to do this weekend, so I'll take a look at the
package then.

> Yes, that's what I wound up doing. However, it
> requires hardcoding the DTD location - something that
> doesn't seem quite right. To make my life easier,
> should I use update-xmlcatalog to point to the dbforms
> DTD?

That should do the trick.

Mark Johnson      <mrj@debian.org>
Debian XML/SGML:  <http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org>
Home Page:        <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242