[xml/sgml] docbook-css packaging question

Mark Johnson mrj at debian.org
Mon Aug 29 21:22:09 UTC 2005

W. Borgert wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:02:11PM -0600, Mark Johnson wrote:
>
>>I don't think it's incorrect, but putting them in
>>/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/css/
>>would be more consistent with current docbook packaging.
>

> Not sure, see below :-)
>

>>  they should go into
>>  /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/<sylesheet-type>/
>

> But we don't have that for stylesheet-type = xsl/dsssl, right?

Oh yeah, you're right. My misnake. We put the DSSSL under
/usr/share/sgml. (I'm not on a debian box right now.)

So, what I said above about .../<stylesheet-type>/ isn't strictly true.

So, to be consistent with the current structure (& policy, actually
[yes, I did actually think pretty hard about some of that stuff:]), they
should probably go in something like

/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/holroyd/<package-files>

this suggestion is, to me, the most consistent with the policy. As to
whether it's the best choice - well, that's certainly debatable.

And, I do agree with Adam that putting "docbook" in the package name
string does sort of imply that the docbook developers or standards group
has somehow blessed them. OTOH, it's a very useful, descriptive name.

How about using "db" instead of "docbook", as in "db-css". Might be more
apporpriate. Tough call, really.

We're all so damn picky that these simple things become real issues.
But, I believe that therein lies one of the strengths of debian: things
are done in a consistent, sensible fashion.

My US$0.02...

Cheers,
Mark