[xml/sgml] some thoughts about xml catalogs & a LSB-XML workgroup

Mark Johnson mrj@debian.org
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:56:17 -0500

Sean Champ wrote:
> 'Spam fun' aside, I'm not sure how to put this, or how it could be
> applicable upon Debian SGML/XML policy. It's a thought, though:
>

> There are more 'documentary grammar' formats than the SGML/XML DTD
>

> Others:
>
> 1) XML Schemas
>    - somewhere at http://www.w3.org/
>
> 2) RELAX NG (Compact or {formal?} syntax)
>     - http://relaxng.org/ should be the URL for it

Hi Sean,

Yes, the above schema types can be registered in the XML catalog system with no
special modification to the policy.

I think I originally only mentioned DTDs to simplify the doc for the average
packager. Both SGML/XML policies clearly need to be updated. I'll get to that
"real soon" :-)

BTW, I've been given approval to form a subworkgroup of LSB to develop an LSB
module for XML (and also SGML) and to act as chairman of said group. The only
thing holding up the process (as in a press release & membership recruiting) is
that I'm having trouble (for lack of time) trying to configure the mambo website
CMS. The workgroup is to be called LSB-XML and has a website here:
http://lsb-xml.org (also http://lsb-xml-sgml.org).

If anyone can volunteer to help me configure mambo (mainly to change the default
template so that the site looks more like the LSB[1] or Free Standards[2] site),
I can get this thing up and running. One of the main issues the group would
tackle is a sane XML catalog implementation - similar to the Debian
implementation. Our work products will likely go into both the LSB and the FHS
standards - at least that's the current plan.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. I'm about to upload a new version of docbook-xsl that will break the
docbook-website package. Sorry, but I can't see anyway around this...

[1] http://www.linuxbase.org
[2] http://www.freestandards.org