[xml/sgml] db2latex-xsl and alternatives for DocBook XML to PDF

Mark Johnson mrj at debian.org
Fri Oct 21 04:43:44 UTC 2005

> unfortunately, the db2latex-xsl project seems to be dead on the
> upstream end.  The last release was on 2004-01-30, called
> 0.8pre1 :-(  Questions and suggestions on the mailing list
> remain unanswered.  Of course, we can fix this and that on the
> Debian side, but I don't believe we have the human power to do
> it properly without living upstream.  Alternatives are:
>
> - dblatex (not yet in Debian, uses Perl :-( and XSL, active
>   upstream, XSL parts seem to be based on db2latex-xsl, maybe
>   not buildable from sources)

Have heard of some reasonable output from dblatex, but tha it still
needs much work and requires much tweaking. Not well-enough informed
(i.e. haven't tested it) to offer any sprt of authoritative opinion.

> - fop (currently in contrib, depends on J2RE, should be compiled
>   with gcj for performance anyway, but I don't know whether this
>   would work)

despite the frozen developement since 12/2003, FOP does surprisingly
well in implementing most of the xsl-fo spec. IOW, it seems to work
quite well for most processing. in fact, it's part of the official DITA
open toolkit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dita-ot/
Not perfect, but seems to be one of the best (free) solutions.

> - passivetex (also not very active upstream, AFAIK)

passivetex is dead. have confirmed with upstream that further
development is not worth the effort.

> What are your experiences and opinions?

I've been testing FOP extensively with complex DocBook documents and
have yet to find any problems. Then again, it is a java-based processor.

FWIW, there are folks in the Fedora Documentation Project who are
currently working on building FOP & Saxon with gcj. I'd be happy to
connect everyone (for some reason, the emails on this week have not been
posted to the fedora-docs-list). I think it'd be great if we could pool
all this expertise to get FOP & Saxon built with gcj.

 From what I understand, the current problem is that FOP depends on
Batik, and Batik uses proprietary APIs in the Sun JRE, which are not
required - but that's as far as my knowledge extends.

> Shall we (Debian) take over db2latex-xsl?

Only if we can harness someone to continue to develop the package, plus
maintain it. But I really dunno - no experience testing this tool.

> Shall we package dblatex?

I dunno. Ditto above.

> Shall we try to gcj-compile fop?

Absolutely! Doing so would be doing the free software community a great
service.

> Are there more alternatives to db2latex-xsl?

I've heard good things about xmlroff - though it's also still under
development. IMO, some test processing needs to be done...

    http://xmlroff.sourceforge.net/

Call me old-school, but I prefer xsl-fo -> pdf tools that only require
modification/customization of the the xsl-fo files (which are XML),
rather than having to use TeX-based customization. But that's only my
$0.02 - we should let the users decide...

HTH.

Cheers,
Mark