[xml/sgml-pkgs] xmlto is installing unneeded dependancies

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Wed Jan 2 18:01:29 UTC 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 02.01.2008, 14:38 +0100 schrieb Andreas Hoenen:
> Rico Secada <coolzone at it.dk> wrote:

[..]
> > I just installed "xmlto" on a fresh stable installation, and I noticed
> > that "apache" got installed as well:
>
> I guess the following has happened:
>
> You are using the new apt default of installing also recommended files

The apt in stable does not have this feature. But I guess you are right
and Rico was hit by aptitudes default to install Recommends too.

> (AFAIK aptitude works the same way), and thus this relationship chain
> applies:
>
> xmlto depends on docbook-xsl, docbook-xsl recommends docbook-xsl-doc,
> docbook-xsl-doc recommends apache.
>
> Not a bug, but maybe disturbing.  As I am interested in a minimal debian
> system on my box, I use the apt configuration stanza:
>
> APT::Install-Recommends false;
>
> Maybe Daniel Leidert can tell us the reason for docbook-xsl-doc
> recommending apache

I don't know the reason. When I hijacked docbook-xsl, the package
already contained this recommendation and the package in etch contains
it. However, some time ago a user asked me to remove it and the current
docbook-xsl-doc-* packages in Lenny/Sid do not contain this
recommendation anymore.

> (AFAIK he follows this list).

Yes, I do ;)

Regards, Daniel