[debiandoc-sgml-devel] Re: DebianDoc-SGML Alioth project up and running

Osamu Aoki osamu@debian.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:52:39 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:07:41AM -0600, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> Just to make sure we're on the same page here: The intend of debiandoc2ps and
> debiandoc2pdf was that in the case of multiple paths from SGML to PS/PDF one
> would get a certain default (e.g. with LaTeX as intermediate format) but with
> the option to specify another intermediate format (e.g. GROFF or Texinfo).

Now that DocBook XML can be generated :-) We can have smooth transition
and we should not bloat this program any more.

> Also, we need to keep debiandoc2ps for legacy reasons (otherwise we ge into
> another fight with Ian Jackson and his userv package; I don't want to go
> their again).

Hmmm...  interesting fact.  I will keep myself away from trouble :-)

> So, given the fact we don't have any other path to PS and PDF other than
> through LaTeX, it's ok to add the -s option to debiandoc2ps/pdf.

Yes.

> I'm still not clear what you guys are planning on doing with the template.

By unifying similar script to a single file, it is much easier to
maintain without oversight.  Of course, I do not want to have too much
at one time, so I made modification to the generated script to the
minimum this time.

This actually made me to read the source again.  Now I realized that it
was almost 1 line hack to create clean DocBook XML from this file.

No more manual work needed to Debiandoc SGML file converted to DocBook
XML.  Sweet!

As for post process -s <script> option, it is best included in the
following scripts since these creates tex or texinfo file as
intermediate file.  There may be some small modification needed to
process these files with existing tools.
 LaTeX:
  debiandoc2latexdvi and symlink to it: debiandoc2dvi
  debiandoc2latexps  and symlink to it: debiandoc2ps
  debiandoc2latexpdf and symlink to it: debiandoc2pdf
 Texinfo:
  debiandoc2info
  debiandoc2xml

fixlatex is provided as a default script to handle Chinese big5 related
issues.

Since Ardo seem to be not fully convinced, let me upload test package
(tested to build debian-reference without using its internal alternative
debiandoc2* scripts.)

It is apt-gettable

deb http://people.debian.org/~osamu/package/ ./
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~osamu/package/ ./

"make diff" will create diff between your local system and packaged
version of scripts as scripts.diff :-)

If it is OK to maker this rather seemingly big change (but it is small
in reality), I will CVS commit to CVS and upload it.  I do not want to
create too many complicated commit yet.

So far html, pdf (including chinese, japanese, ...) and XML working fine
here.

Osamu