[Debichem-devel] [Debichem-commits] r612 - in /unstable/openbabel/debian: changelog patches/python_setup_fix.patch

Noel O'Boyle baoilleach at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:11:10 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I just saw this email regarding Python modules for openbabel. I'm the
author of pybel.py so you can blame me for any confusion...

openbabel.py is the direct output of SWIG. It is a C extension module
that connects Python to the C++ library that is OpenBabel.

pybel.py is dependent on openbabel.py. It is a pure-Python module that
wraps around openbabel.py so that certain operations (e.g. reading a
molecule from a file) can be done in one line of Python.

I would say that most users of Python/OpenBabel would be using both,
and I hope that you will distribute both.

Sorry if you were confused by the Windows .exe. It contains both
modules as well as the compiled DLL for openbabel.

Regards,
   Noel