[Debichem-devel] RFS: gausssum (updated package)

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 13 20:37:56 UTC 2007

On 8/13/07, Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2007, 23:19 -0700 schrieb Jordan Mantha:
> > LI,
> >   I appreciate the work you're doing getting these new upstream
> > versions ready, but please, let's let Michael sponsor our work in
> > debichem, and while I'm still Maintainer of gausssum please ask first
> > before doing something like this. Also, adding yourself as Uploader:
> > without asking me explicitly is not very nice.
>
> It was me, adding LI to Uploaders. I did this, because he was doing the
> main work and nobody complained. Now you complain more than 5(!) months
> after this change, which is a little bit unfair, don't you think so? I
> mean, you left the package alone for more than a half year (your last
> change was done a year ago, or so) and you put gausssum into this
> *team-maintained* repository. So what?

I *did* try to discuss this in July and gave up. I agree though that
it is my fault for not being more on top of the changes you guys were
doing when you were doing them. I guess I'm too busy with Ubuntu. When
I went back to look at all the changes there was a lot going on that I
would've liked to have discussed on-list. Because my name is still in
Maintainer: I'm the one ultimately responsible if things go wrong,
etc.

> > For now I don't see much of an alternative but to remove you as
> > co-maintainer until we can figure out how to work as a team.
>
> Please think about adding comments to a package specific or our general
> TODO files to let us know, what we are allowed to do and which things
> you don't want us to do. These files contain this information, so we
> don't need to chat to each other for everything we want to do. And so
> we/you can also leave hints about packaging stuff, non-maintainers of
> this package don't know.

Good point. I'm not used to that but it sounds like the way to go.

> > My
> > eventual goal is to turn maintainership of gausssum completely over to
> > debichem, but I feel like I need to make sure it's going to be
> > maintained properly.
>
> Did you observe any issues in the past 5 months that let you feel, that
> it wasn't maintained properly?

Well, the issues I saw where the changelog being a mess, switching
from python-central to python-support, not properly documenting a NMU,
and generally being impatient with our sponsor. Giving 2 days for
Michael to respond before emailing a RFS to debian-mentors seems
really odd to me. Perhaps I don't understand the "Debian way" yet, I'm
not sure.

At this point, I'm really not as interested in GaussSum as perhaps LI
is and since he has been doing a lot of work, I'd like to consider
either handing maintainership over to him or to debichem as a whole. I
know we had a discussion some months back about having the mailing
list be the Maintainer, do we have a conclusion to that?

Again, sorry for what seems like now to be a bit of an overreaction.

-Jordan