[Debichem-devel] making debichem Maintainer

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Thu Aug 16 13:21:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 01:14:48AM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 14.08.2007, 10:34 -0700 schrieb Jordan Mantha:
> > I'm moving the discussion over here. :-)
> >
> > I think it would be better to have the list as maintainer. I guess the
> > problem we had last time was spam. Would it be possible to whitelist
> > @debian.org ?
>
> Yes, but that doesn't help. BTS mails are not sent from @debian.org
> addresses except a DD sends the report. Maybe one can whitelist the

> headers, but I'm not sure.

It is possible, see wiki.d.o/AliothFAQ, "BTS messages to lists are held
for moderation".

> > I know
> > that debian-tex-maint at lists.debian.org uses their list address for TeX
> > packages. I haven't seen really any spam (other than bug spam) from
> > them. Perhaps we can ask them what they are doing?
>
> This list is hosted by debian.org and it is probably checked with spam
> detection tools like spamassassin. The alioth lists are not checked (to
> my knowledge). Typical open lists at alioth are: debian-xml-sgml-pkgs,
> pkg-java-maintainers, dpatch and the emboss list. And to my knowledge
> they are all spammed.
>
> AFAIK you only have two choices when using a list address as maintainer
> address:
> (1) open the list
> (2) still moderate the list
>
> The latter needs some active moderators.

The most important part is not annoying bug reporters/users with "your
mail is being moderated" messages.  We definetely need to figure out how
to turn those off.

Alioth really should have a preset for "This list is used as
Maintainer:", or at least documentation explaining all the recommended
steps.

Michael