[Debichem-devel] Meshlab and Qutemol

Teemu Ikonen tpikonen at embl-hamburg.de
Sun Jun 3 14:27:28 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Michael Banck <mbanck at debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:23:39PM +0200, Teemu Ikonen wrote:
> > Meshlab depends on the VCG library [3], which is also used in a
> > molecular graphics program Qutemol [4], all written by the same group.
> > Qutemol has very impressive graphics output and would be a nice
> > addition to Debian / Ubuntu as well, but needs modern OpenGL hardware
> > which I don't have access to at the moment.
> >
> > [3] http://vcg.sourceforge.net
> > [4] http://qutemol.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > I could go on and package Meshlab with a static copy of VCG included,
> > but if there's someone with suitable hardware, time and interest to
> > package Qutemol, then maybe VCG should be in a separate package.
> > Anybody interested?
>
> I'd (Or debichem) be interested in Qutemol, but looking at the source,
> at least the build system looks pretty Windows-specific.  It seems to
> use wxwidgets so might be portable, but it would need some porting I
> guess.
>
> Anybody tried to build it on GNU/Linux?

Just out of curiosity I tried Qutemol to see if it worked on my
hardware (it didn't, as expected). The source needed some patching in
order to build, and in Debian you need to get wxwidgets2.8 from
somewhere (i.e. Ubuntu) but in the end it seems that it could work on
suitable hardware on Linux without problems. A patch to fix the build
problems is attached.

Teemu