[Debichem-devel] Open Babel 2.1 in Debian

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff at geoffhutchison.net
Mon May 21 17:43:45 UTC 2007

Quoting Micahel Banck:  (http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/
debichem-devel/2007-May/000050.html)
> However, there is the issue with the format plugins which currently
> reside in /usr/lib/openbabel, and as apparently the plugin-ABI has
> changed between 2.0 and 2.1 as well, 2.0 plugins won't work with
> the 2.1
> library and vice-versa, so some versioned directory is probably
> needed.
>
> I brought this up on the openbabel list but haven't received a
> reply or
> so far, I'll try again now.

I'm pretty sure I've replied to all of your messages on the Open
Babel list, including this issue.

I don't have any problem with a versioned directory for file format
plugins -- I think it's generally a good idea.

The real solution is going to be to stop breaking binary interfaces
and provide much cleaner APIs as well. There's no real solution until
we put in the effort for an Open Babel 3.0.

If there's anything needed from "upstream" (i.e. Open Babel), to
continue to keep the Debian package working, you should just ask.
Obviously, anything which breaks existing packages is a bug.

Cheers,
-Geoff