[Debichem-devel] Package categories

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Sun Jul 27 07:39:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Michael Banck wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 07:03:58PM +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
>> === Structure calculation ===
>>
>> ==== Abinitio  ====
>>
>> ==== Semi Empirical ====
>>
>> === Molecular graphics ===

So we would have four categories for DebiChem?

> Certainly the chemistry stuff should get better sorted, and this is on
> my TODO list for debichem.  In particular, the last group needs more
> grouping (molecular modelling, 2D structure editing etc.)

... or even more.

> At the same time, I am wondering why abinit got uploaded to pkg-scicomp
> without consulting the debichem team first?

I'm a real fan of communication - so please be nice to each other and
at least drop some notes to potentially interested groups ...

> If abinit is really only
> interesting to physicists I guess that's fine, but the description seems
> to indicate otherwise.

Well, there is nothing that speaks against listing a package in more than
one category (meta package).  We know that we are listing DebiChem maintained
packages in med-bio and there is much room for listing packages in more
than one task.

> It seems pointless to have competing packaging groups around,

Yes.  As long as a package is solidly maintained there is no reason
to blame anybody.

> I thought pkg-scicomp was mainly packaging software which
> is of general interest to scientific computing (like lapack, blas,
> etc.), not specific applications for which other packaging groups (and
> debian-science more generally) are already available.

I admit that for me the role of pkg-scicomp is somehow unclear and the
communication is not really the best.  That's why we did not waited for
the pkg-scicomp team to push the Debian Science effort but did this on
our own and hope for a reasonable cooperation.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de