[Debichem-devel] Build-dependency for rasmol: cbflib

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Fri Mar 28 07:56:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Michael Banck wrote:

>> Again, I have nothing against changing the Maintainer field to e.g.
>> DebiChem in these packages, if this does not impose a workflow I
>> consider sub-optimal.

Well, I think nobody can force you to use SVN (and nobody really wants
to).

> That's all nice, but doesn't really belong here.  Both debian-med and
> debichem use the keep-debian-in-subversion approach, so if you want to
> group-maintain your packages in one of these teams (and debichem would
> invite you to maintain rasmol there), you'd have to adopt to the
> current workflow, sorry.

I wonder what would happen if some of the DebiChem people would change
the packaging to use quilt or dpatch.  Teemu, would you accept this
atempt? :-)

> We could still discuss having debichem or debian-med as Maintainer and
> you and some other interested people in Uploaders so we can at least
> tackle bugs together etc.,

IMHO DebiChem would be apropriate for rasmol and thus I would prefer
to use the DebiChem list as maintainer and setting Teemu as Uploader
(and perhaps myself because I sponsored the packages - even if I'd
be fine if somebody of DebiChem would take over the sponsoring).

> but not being to work together in the package
> repository would be a downside.

I perfectly agree but I admit that Teemu did a certain amount of
upstream work in providing the GTK+ GUI which probably would have leaded
to large patches in debian/patches if he would have used the approach
we prefer.  So I admit that he has some point regarding his workflow
requirement, which creates some friction regarding Debian group
maintenance I would love to see vanishing on the other hand.

So my suggestion would be:

   Maintainer: Debichem Team <debichem-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
   Uploaders: Teemu Ikonen <tpikonen at gmail.com>
    [others, myself included if nobody else would take over sponsoring]

upload this way and see how it works for the future.  If this is OK
and nobody else raised his hand to take over sponsoring until Monday
I will start with uploading cbflib.  Once this is included in unstable
I will continue with rasmol.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

PS: While I'm writing to DebiChem: Are you interested in getting
     some tasks pages like this [1] for DebiChem?  My plan for
     Extremadura next week is to create such pages for Debian-Edu[2]
     and Debian-Science[3] (the later both are only previews because
     it needs some work regarding a more general approach.  I
     also want to add translations obtained from DDTP.  If you are
     interested just tell me so / discuss on DebiChem list in a
     separate thread - but keep me CCed, I'm not subscribed.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/
[2] http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/education/tasks/
[3] http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/

--