[Debichem-devel] abinitio QM packages - was Re: Extensible Simulation Package for Research on Soft matter

Chris Walker chrisw at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 18:46:09 UTC 2009

Francesco Pietra <chiendarret at gmail.com> writes:

> I dare adding a comment. I don't see mentioned here MPQC, a general
> package for electronic quantum calculations in vacuum. It is GNU and
> furnished as a deb package.

Indeed. When I wrote the e-mail, I was thinking of additional packages
- however it would have been better to include them, so apologies for that.

Packages already in Debian:

abinit
mpqc
openmx
psi3

> I used MPQC a couple of years ago,
> noticing the structure optimization algorithm as the most efficient I
> have ever come across. No wonder for a code that is born parallelized
> in C, object oriented (while most other classical codes were born
> serial in Fortran, speeding up being requested to the compiler). I
> have no shares with MPQC, actually I had to abandon it because it is
> not being developed toward tasks that are a must in chemistry, such as
> time-dependency and binding to MM codes, while modern meta-functionals
> for DFT have not been included).  Should, however, these tasks not be
> needed, in my opinion MPQC is the code of choice in the whole spectrum
> of this type of code. My wish is that MPQC finds funding to become a
> leader of codes for chemistry.

That's useful information.

Chris

PS The licence for mpqc is not listed on the wikipedia page. It would
be nice if someone could correct that.

PPS I'll leave the rest of the mail in so that all the packages are in
one mail.