[Debichem-devel] RYI: gnome-chemistry-utils 0.10

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Sun Jan 11 14:38:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

Just a short status report: I began to package the gnome chemistry utils
version 0.10.3. During this I found some copyright/license issues, which
we fixed upstream. The new copyright file will follow the proposal for
an machine readable format (see wiki.debian.org).

Then this version now ships gchempaint (there is no longer a separate
source package). I would like to put gchempaint (~ 3.5MB, but statically
linked) and gcrystal (< 1MB) into gcu-bin (< 1MB) [1] and maybe put the
architecture independent stuff (help, desktop integration, ...) into an
arch-independent package if necessary. The size of gcu-bin will increase
to probably 2.5MB I guess. Is there anybody who objects here?

Then I plan to remove our gchempaint-patch, which statically linked
gchempaint with the "internal" libraries. The libraries can be put into
the libgcu0 package. IMHO there is no compelling reason to statically
link the application. The work created by the necessary patch is not
worth it.

Then upstream does not longer install the development files (headers,
pkgconfig file, ...), so the libgcu-dev and libgcu-doc package will
disappear too.

So this is just an information. The update will need some time (and I'm
pretty busy atm too). If anybody wants to help, I can commit my first
results, so you can proceed.

[1] Michael: IIRC we planned to rename gcu-bin. But I'm not sure. Do you
have some more "clear" :) memories about this?

Regards, Daniel