[Debichem-devel] Jmol again

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Aug 23 11:30:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 01:01:49PM +0200, Georges Khaznadar wrote:
> This is definitely a good idea for the package chemical-structures. This
> one is most mature, I do not think that it can be improved by its author
> directly: there are already more than 500 molecules in the data, which
> are likely to be the most commonly needed molecule by everybody. The
> only enhancement would be to allow people who use this program to upload
> well described new molecules. Another enhancement would be to define an
> extention to MIME-types to deal with files describing molecules.

Please don't get me wrong: My suggestion only concerned the Debian
*packaging* stuff which should be moved to a common repository as it
is described in

    http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html
    6.2.5. Version Control System location

Some packaging teams are using Git and maintain a workflow to keep a
copy of upstream code in this repository - but I think DebiChem just
keeps the /debian directory.  The information about DebiChem is a bit
sparse and I have no idea whether there is something like a packaging
policy as it for instance exists for Debian Science[1].  Probably it
makes sense to have a look into the SVN[2] and watch for examples.

> What are the procedures to upload new packages in those repositories?

See [1].

> (by the way, I suppose that "DebiChem SVN" and "Debian Science
> repository" are distinct repositories, aren't they ?)

Yes, they are.  The DebiChem project exclusively deals with chemical
software.  The Debian Science project serves as an umbrella for all
sciences who are not supported by a dedicated team in Debian.  Other
teams are Debian GIS for geographical information systems and Debian Med
which is also maintaining packages with relevance for microbiology
because this is relevant for medicine as well.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

[1] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html
[2] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/debichem/unstable/