[Debichem-devel] debichem_0.0.1_amd64.changes is NEW

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Tue Jul 20 21:50:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:13:16PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > DebiChem 2D structure editors
> >  This metapackage will install 2D structure editors which might be
> >  useful for chemists.
> > (new) debichem-visualisation_0.0.1_all.deb extra misc
> > DebiChem 3D Viewers and Calculation Output Visualization
> >  This metapackage will install 3D Viewers and Calculation Output Visualization
> >  which might be useful for chemists.
>
> IMO these both don't make any sense. Who wants 5 or 6 or even more
> applications of the same kind (for different desktops!) on his system?

Good question.  This could be used by an or relation in the tasks file.
So we could express:

  Depends: bkchem | chemtool | easychem | gchempaint | xdrawchem

or something like this in the tasks file which would be translated 1:1
into the metapackage dependencies while the tasks page as general
overview remains the same.  Does this make more sense?

> Do you really think, one wants to install all available 2D editors or
> viewers and pull in the whole GNOME and KDE desktops? I don't think so.

I do neither think so - I never touched any of these programs and
followed the suggestion of Michael (and probably forgot to mention
the option of alternatives).

> These should be handled via virtual packages/ the Provides-field.

Probably this could be done anyway independently of the metapackage.

> IMHO it makes more sense to create meta-packages like suites: e.g. a
> toolchain for students/chemists for the GNOME desktop (e.g. gcu +
> gelemental/gperiodic) and one for the KDE desktop (e.g. kalzium,
> xdrawchem + avogadro) and maybe one independent one (e.g.
> bkchem/chemtool + ...).

This is a *very* good idea.  Debian Edu also uses this approach.  BTW,
there is no reason to list one package in only one task.  It makes
perfectly sense to move it to a desktop related task as well as in the
tasks we just have.  We are not doing some exclusive categorisation but
rather try to support user views.  Whatever the direction the user is
locking from - it should be supported by a task.

Would you mind suggesting a complete list for debichem-kde and
debichem-gnome tasks?

Many thanks for your suggestion

   Andreas.

--