[Debichem-devel] Metapackages for DebiChem?

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jul 21 12:55:33 UTC 2010

[Seems I have sended this only in privat instead to the list ...]

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:26:09PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> thanks Andreas for pushing this/us.

:-)

> I think the categorization is quite fine (although I am not totally sure
> I agree on the merging of 3d viewers and visualization - at least the
> name "Output & visualization" looks wrong to me), the description could
> need some editing which I might get to (or not...).

Well, I was just following a suggestion.  Roling back the change is no
problem at all.  On the other hand it might be a good idea to keep it
simple in the first shot by starting with only a view metapackages and
adding more granularity later.  So IMHO we could go with the current
status (changing the name is no big deal - you have commit permissions
anyway).

> The central question IMO is whether we want to expose all of the
> Debichem (and related) packages via meta-packages, or select/deselect
> some based on what we think it most useful to our users.  It would be
> nice if those great web pages could list them all, while the
> meta-packages would only install the ones we can totally recommend
> (sometimes, there are several packages which almost the same feature set
> and some of them might be abandoned upstream or slightly buggy).

If the task file uses Suggests (instead of Depends or Recommends) this
will be turned into a Suggests in the metapackage and thus will not
installed without explicitely expressing to include the suggests.  The
tasks page will list both but in different sections (see the lot of
examples in Debian Med).

> Also, it begs the question whether we could/should select a couple of
> applications we think every chemist interested in Debichem should have;
> would something like that (maybe a general "Debichem" task) be possible?

Sounds like debichem-common.   This is surely possible (Debian Edu uses
this as well).

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--