[Debichem-devel] Migrate to quilt/source format 3.0?

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Tue May 25 20:34:30 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag, den 25.05.2010, 20:38 +0200 schrieb Michael Banck:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 08:05:13AM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > 2) The last time the dpatch-vs-quilt issue was discussed on debian-devel
> > anybody wasn't able to tell, how to easily use the debian/-only approach
> > together with quilt. Did things change? I'm neither willing to
> > complicate my packaging work nor to put all the sources into SVN.
>
> I can't imagine this being a problem;

It is to my knowledge. With dpatch it is as easy as typing `dpatch -b
patch...' (or with `-a -0' for a new patch) from the subversion tree.
quilt doesn't support this. You either have to put the sources into the
subversion tree too or you create symlinks after unpacking the sources.
I really don't like the first and the second complicates packaging work.

My workflow with quilt is to use `svn-buildpackage --svn-export...' and
then work in this tree and copy files around. With dpatch I don't need
to copy things around nor do I need to export the subversion tree, which
makes things much easier and faster.

> maybe we can convert one source
> package and see whether things still work fine for you?

They don't work fine with quilt. I *am* working with dpatch *and* quilt.
So as long as I don't miss any quilt feature I know what I'm talking
about. You have to come up with an alternative workflow. Otherwise
please only migrate packages you mainly maintain.

I was thinking about adapting dpatch to use quilt to do what I want it
to do. But my time is pretty limited and I have several more important
and interesting projects I'm working on.

My opinion: The 3.0 format hasn't any advantage over the current
packaging format. If Nicholas prefers quilt over dpatch he is free to
use it (it doesn't affect any of the packages I mainly care about).

JFTR: The 3.0 format is not longer a release goal.

Regards, Daniel