[Debichem-devel] cclib_1.0.1-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Karol M. Langner karol.langner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:11:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:48:18PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
> On Wed, 20, Apr, 2011 at 11:39:51PM +0200, Michael Banck spoke thus..
> > > "4.1 This EULA grants you the right to use the Software for internal purposes
> > > only. Using Software for consulting services is explicitly forbidden."
> >
> > ADF is not part of the package and is not being used during the package
> > building.
> >
> > All we do is include ADF output for non-"scientific publication"
> > purposes, or to be precise, as part of the test suite.
> >
> > If that is not allowed according to your opinion, I guess we will have
> > to remove those, pity.
>
> These source files are trivially not DFSG free and so cannot be included
> in main even if they're not used in the binary build.
>
> Mark

Hi,

 I packaged cclib and am one of the upstream authors. To be clear, these files
contain NO source code. They consist of the (text) output of the licensed program,
which we use for tests. Having said that, I know that DFSG covers docs and all
other parts of debs.

 In the course of developing cclib we ask the creators of these files to place them
in the Public Domain, since their work goes into creating them.

 I could imagine a situation where a third party downloads these files in a deb
and later uses the results in a scientific publication. That would violate the EULA,
and I think that is the kind of thing Debian wants to prevent.

 Would it help if I asked the owner of this license for permission to remove it
from these specific files and to use them in any way? What else can be done? In the worst
case scenario, should I remove all tests from the package?

Regards,
Karol

--
written by Karol M. Langner