[Debichem-devel] cclib-data_1.0.1-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Karol M. Langner karol.langner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 14:28:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:43:29PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 02:07:31PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:57:13AM +0000, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > several files are shipped with this notice:
> > >
> > >   ******************************************************
> > >   *                PC GAMESS homepage:                 *
> > >   * http://classic.chem.msu.su/gran/gamess/index.html  *
> > >   *                      e-mail:                       *
> > >   *               gran at classic.chem.msu.su             *
> > >   *   This program may not be redistributed without    *
> > >   * the specific, written permission of its developers.*
> > >   ******************************************************
> > >
> > > Looking at the URL above, it is written that it is not possible to redistribute
> > > files to other parties, this makes it impossible for us to ship this software,
> > > even if we inserted it in non-free.
> >
> > Those are OUTPUT files of that (proprietary) program, not the program
> > itself.  They are basically a test suite to see whether the scientific
> > data in those output files can be properly parsed by cclib.  No
> > proprietary program source code is shipped in cclib-data.
> >
> > I understand ftp-masters are nervous to ship those (which are similar to
> > Powerpoint files e.g., albeit text-only and not standardized) in main,
> > but I really think they should be fine for non-free.
>
> Any news on this?  I guess we should just reupload the package as-is?

I'm not sure. I didn't get any further feedback, and was travelling most of the
month, so I've been just waiting.

These copyright notices are in almost all the log files we use. And cclib-data
doesn't contain anything else save the actual; unittest classes. So, either
cclib-data stays as is, or we through it out entirely from Debian. It is not
critical, since it will not usually be used by "users", but it would
be nice to have. Once I get a clear decision I will go ahead and change the other
packages' dependencies if needed.

- Karol

--
written by Karol M. Langner